Sunday, April 14, 2013

Don’t live for anybody else

“I will live for myself, not for anybody else.” That’s what my mother said to me on the telephone this morning. It costs her more than 20 years to realize that simple principle.

Since the day my mother got married, she had been trying her best to become a supporting wife, a loving mother, and a caring daughter-in-law. Bitterly, life never went smooth for her.

  • Her only son died of cancer. Her only daughter leaves home for college.
  • Her married life is cold and lonely. She never gets along with her in-laws.
  • Her biological father died unexpectedly, without giving her a chance to say goodbye.
She cared a little about her career. She never built good habits for her own. For more than 20 years, she lived for people around her. I don’t know whether it is a huge sacrifice or a pure foolishness.

Now when her marriage is on the verge of break-up, I hope that she will get herself a little time to figure out what she truly wants to do.

From my mother's life story, I distill a simple lesson: Don't live for other people. Just don't. Your time is too short. In the blink of an eye, you are on the downside of your life. You don’t want to waste your precious time living the life you’ll regret, do you? 

Women don't know what they want. Men never know what they have. - Ronald Oliver.

(PS: I'm freaking out! I haven't received my Mr.thay's email reply for a couple of days. Oh God, please let him be healthy and well.)

2 comments:

  1. re-read this entry for several times but I still can't believe what I have read :| Why things are always becoming so complicated like that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is life, sweetheart <3. You have to deal with its bitterness :D.

      Delete